In this section:
We offer fully maintained salary sacrifice vehicles (new or used) under a lease referred to as a Novated Lease.
As part of UNSW's commitment to demonstrate environmental sustainability, we encourage staff to consider energy-efficient and alternative fuel vehicles when looking to purchase a car.
A new car, without the high costs, the tax and the hassle
If you're interested in purchasing a car, why not consider a novated lease? It's a smart way to drive.
What is a novated lease?
A novated lease is an arrangement between you, UNSW and our partner LeasePlan. It enables you to lease a vehicle of your choice, while enjoying the tax-effective benefit of financing the vehicle and its operating cost from pre-tax – or a combination of pre-tax – salary.
Who is eligible for a novated lease?
A novated lease is available to all full-time and part-time employees of UNSW. Fixed-term employees should carefully consider their employment prospects with UNSW before committing to any financial arrangement in relation to this program.
What are the benefits?
Some of the benefits include:
- LeasePlan can obtain discounts on vehicle purchase price and all essential running costs, and will pass these savings on to you.
- You pay less tax. You pay through an agreed, fixed salary deduction that reduces your PAYG tax, leaving more in your pay packet.
- You can even eliminate your Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) liabilities with Employee Contribution Method (ECM) to make your lease even more tax effective.
- All your car’s expenses will be GST free.
LeasePlan estimates that an employee earning $75,000 per year and leasing a $35,000 vehicle can save more than $3,000 a year compared to financing with after tax salary.
How can I apply?
If you wish to enter a salary sacrificing arrangement, follow these steps:
- Go to www.leaseplan.com.au/nov-unsw.
- Select Register Now.
- Register as a new user.
For information and assistance
For general Novated Leasing information and how to get started:
Contact Estely Pruze on X55497 or email@example.com
For detailed Novated Leasing information and to have a consultation based on your personal circumstances:
Book an appointment with the LeasePlan representative, Veronica Sarin.
Appointments are held fortnightly on Wednesday 9.00am - 12.00pm at
Facilities Management, Level 3, Mathews Building (F23).
To book an appointment:
For further information, you can download the following documents:
- Novated Leasing and Salary Packaging User Guide
- How to Read a Quote
- Sample Motor Vehicle Report
- LeasePlan presentation May 2014
- Salary Packaging Calculator
Management of Faculty and Department vehicles
All vehicles used by the University are pool vehicles and will be provided under company operating leases which are fully maintained by LeasePlan. Employees who are required to use faculty/department vehicles must treat the vehicle with same care and diligence as if the vehicle were owned by UNSW.
UNSW ensures that a high proportion of its fleet vehicles are energy-efficient or use alternative fuels. Fuel-efficient vehicles in the fleet include hybrid cars (Toyota Priuses).
Acquisition and disposal of Faculty and Department vehicles
- all vehicles will be acquired under lease as new vehicles through the FM Fleet Manager
- all trailers, boats and selected plant equipment will be purchased and owned by UNSW, and managed by external fleet and vehicle management company, LeasePlan.
You can download the following documents:
- UNSW Fleet Management Policy
- UNSW Acquisition and Management of Faculty/Department Vehicles Procedure.
For all enquiries regarding faculty and department vehicles please contact:
Estely Pruze – Fleet Manager
Level 2 Mathews Building F23
Ph: 9385 5497
Fax: 9385 2499
We provide pool vehicle hire at competitive rates and conditions, for staff carrying out University business.
Facilities Management car hire is a self service online vehicle booking system provided through LeasePlan Online.
Pool vehicle hire fees
|3 hours min||$27.00||$42.00|
How do I hire a pool vehicle?
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following details:
- Staff ID number
- Driver’s license number and expiry date
- Account details for charging: Fund/Dept/Project No.
2. An email with your user ID and password for LeasePlan Online will be sent to you.
3. You can then log on to LeasePlan Online to make your booking.
4. Collect vehicle and keys from Car Hire - Facilities Management, Level 2 Mathews Building.
How to use LeasePlan Online to make a vehicle booking
Download the following user guides to help you use LeasePlan Online to make and manage a vehicle booking:
- How to access LeasePlan Online
- How to make a vehicle booking
- How to find or modify a vehicle booking
- How to pick up and return a vehicle
Ph: 9385 7388